Certified Lactation Counselors, and Peer Counselors are available at our health departments.
Any woman who wishes to breastfeed or is currently breastfeeding can receive support from one of our lactation or peer counselors, including women enrolled in WIC.
Please call the Bureau County WIC office at (815) 879-0341.
Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 12:00pm and 1:00pm - 4:00pm.
Why Breast Feeding is Important:
- Protects baby from many health concerns. The hormones and antibodies protect the baby from diseases; formula can never offer this protection.
- More easily digested by the baby. Formula is made from cow's milk and made for calves. Breast milk is made for specifically for your baby and changes as your baby grows.
- With breastfeeding, you don't have to worry about carrying around bottles, extra water and the formula can, you are already to go. No getting up in the middle of the night to mix formula.
- Breastfeeding has benefits for mom also: lower risk of Type 2 diabetes, breast cancer, and ovarian cancer.
Valuble Online Resources
- National Breastfeeding Hotline: 800-994-9662
- www.llli.org - LaLeche League International
Local Support Groups:
- Perry Memorial's Mother's Group
Open to All
Meets 3rd Thursday of the Month, 6:00pm, in the lower conference room of Perry Memorial Hospital
- Illinois Valley LaLeche League
Meets the 3rd Thursday of the month 9:30am - 11:00am.
Contact LaLeche League International for location site
- Bureau County WIC Certified Licensed Lactation Counselors
Amy / Mandi
Phone: (815) 879-0341
Cell: (815) 303-2329